I've had exactly the same problem which has to do with Eclipse not being
aware of embedded Derby specific way to shutdown. Eclipse only closes
connection and database stays open. I solved this by running standalone
Derby network server and connecting from Eclipse and application as network
client.

--
Peter Ondruška