I am getting an exception trying to delete a record that I added not long
before (as part of a unit test)

Sometimes unit test frameworks do really clever things, too clever in fact.

For example, I've seen unit test frameworks for database applications which
have automatically "cleanup" code which completely removes the entire
directory tree which was being used by the test, in order to release
the disk space and prevent clutter from accumulating.

Only, it turned out that the framework removed the folder tree while the
test was still running.

One thing you can do to try to get more information is to make sure
you are getting the *full* exception trace, not the abbeviated one. See:

        http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/UnwindExceptionChain

Another thing you might try is to run your unit tests with Derby
configured so that it has logStatementText=true, and then look at your
derby.log after the test runs to get a better idea about how far your
test ran, and what was going on just before the failure.

bryan