I want to use Derby and Tomcat in a web site. The web server is on a linux 2.6.32 with an Apache server 2.2.32.

I dont think Java, Tomcat and Derby are installed. I access the servere thruough Cpanel and WHM. I was told that cpanel and WHM do not manage Java and Derby so they can not help me on the matter.

I tried Tomcat and derby with Eclipse on my computer and it works. In my set up i use a Derby network server according to the instructions i got. This requires that I have to start the Derby server independently using localhost. In my regular setup i am using Derby with 0.0.0.0 in order to accept queries from any computer on my local network.

My questions are:

1- Should I use the Embedded Derby server with Tomcat so that Tomcat start the server itself? I am not sure Tomcat can work with Derby started at 0.0.0.0. In the future context of a web site, is this a requirement or can I still use the Derby network server with Tomcat?

2- In teh Web site, should the Derby database be installed within Tomcat directories or can it be anywhere like on my computer?

 Thank you

--
Daniel Godefroy
Consultant en informatique de gestion