> I suspect your problems are caused by having two different versions of
> the Derby jars intermingled. The behavior of CLASSPATH is complex,
> especially for things like the JDBC 4.0 autoload features, and Derby
> jars are often packaged and bundled into other software packages,
> making it easy to have multiple copies of the Derby code without
> realizing it.

Ok, I interpret this answer to be that there shouldn't be any problems
with pulling the embedded driver and the client driver into the same
java program?

The google hits when searching answers to this issue has hinted at
having two different versions of derby in the classpath, so this is what
I have looked at before postign a question here.

The maven dependencies look OK, but an inlined derby in a different jar
is a definite possibility.

I'll try investigating this possibility before trying to isolate a test
case.

Thanks!

- Steinar