Can you make this error occur in a new database, one which hasn't already exhausted the ranges of its identity columns and sequence generators? If you can, then I recommend the following next steps:

1) Open a JIRA issue for this problem.

2) Run your application. Make sure that you boot the JVM with the following system properties so that Derby will snapshot statements and errors to derby.log:

  -Dderby.language.logStatementText=true
  -Dderby.stream.error.logSeverityLevel=0

3) After you have tripped the problem, attach derby.log to the JIRA issue so that we can examine it.

Thanks,
-Rick