Hi Folk,

Trying to use Derby for the first time. I am not an expert Java developer
but dabbling for learning me some. I followed the official Derby
instructions for installing the latest Derby on my freshly minted Lubuntu
(lighter Ubuntu using LXDE) 64-bit 18.04.3 setup, with OpenJDK11 (default).

Have started Derby in network server mode like this:
$ java -jar $DERBY_HOME/lib/derbyrun.jar server start

And then trying to using ij to create the database like this:
$ ij
ij version 10.15
ij> CONNECT 'jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/seconddb;create=true';
ERROR XJ041: DERBY SQL error: ERRORCODE: 40000, SQLSTATE: XJ041, SQLERRMC:
Failed to create database 'seconddb', see the next exception for
details.::SQLSTATE: XBM01::SQLSTATE: XJ001
ij>

Trying to read around, there are suggestions to look into derby.log file,
but I found none so far. What gives ? How to proceed ? Didn't find any
general troubleshooting instructions in the docs. Tried the FAQ, but no
obvious clues.

cheers,