Hm. I don't think that UPPER operates on numeric data:

ij> CONNECT 'jdbc:derby:memory:db;create=true';

ij> CREATE TABLE t(a int);

0 rows inserted/updated/deleted

ij> INSERT INTO t VALUES (2), (10), (21);

3 rows inserted/updated/deleted

ij> SELECT * FROM t ORDER BY UPPER(a);

ERROR 42846: Cannot convert types 'INTEGER' to 'VARCHAR'.