I have a query SELECT COUNT(*) AS X FROM ...

If I use ResultMetaData.getColumnLabel(), I get "X".
If I use ResultMetaData.getColumnName(), I also get "X".

Here is the output from a test program:

Query: SELECT country,count(*) FROM customer GROUP BY country ORDER BY country
Name = COUNTRY
Label = COUNTRY
Name = COUNT(*)
Label = COUNT(*)
columns = COUNT(*), COUNTRY

Query: select country, count(*) as customers from customer group by country order by country asc
Name = COUNTRY
Label = COUNTRY
Name = CUSTOMERS
Label = CUSTOMERS
columns = COUNTRY, CUSTOMERS

I was hoping/expecting that getColumnName() would return "COUNT(*)" in the second case.

Is there any way to get COUNT(*) short of parsing the query myself?

Thanks,
--
John English

https://www.avg.com