From: Yu Liu [mailto:liu...@msn.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 02, 2011 8:01 AM
To: design@libreoffice.org
Cc: Sheng Liu; george.li.0...@gmail.com; 曦 程
Subject: [libreoffice-design] RE: Help Sought: LibreOffice UI Alternation
Experiement - Acadamic Project

Hi Bernhard,

Thank you for your reply, although we didn't not think of checking the email
archive until recently.

> I for one don't consider myself as "expert" in this field - especially

> as contact for a university project - but perhaps one of the other
> team

> members would be able and willing to serve as contact.

By
 "expert in the field", we were not referring to top-level researchers or
developers, we are just looking for someone to act the client role ("client" is
just a paperwork term, no obligation attached): as long as one has got a few
years of experience in the area of UI design, it's good enough. The purpose of
having such person supervising this academic project is for us to have a
relevant, informative feedback/second opinion, and for us to learn from the
interaction of this experience. We will appreciate the effort of anyone who is
willing to help us on this project.

Currently we are
planning on making the renovation two stages: the first one is to create  side
tool bar for better (wide) screen utilization (something like the one shown on
http://pauloup.deviantart.com/art/LibreOffice-UI-Mock-up-light-1-193805631?q=gallery%3Apauloup%2F28216273&qo=3),
 and the second to have some "smart" algorithm to put only tools relevant to
the user's current intention in that bar. However, due to that the project has
to finish in almost exactly one-year's time (from today), during which we will
be in our fourth-year study or on internship, we doubt that we will  be able to
reach the second stage. But we will try.

> This would allow us to review your changes / new UI and implement them

> (or at least some of them) to the main repository, if you can license

> them under LGPL 3+ and MPL.

We will follow and use the LGPL3 and MPL licenses, and thank you for mentioning
them.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks
Xi, George, Kevin, Yu