Hi Cedric, hi Alex, all!

@ Cedric: I had to moderate your mail.

Hey, a great step forward :-) I'd like to add some thoughts and
information that has been collected some time ago.

Am Mittwoch, den 22.02.2012, 09:11 +0100 schrieb Cedric Bosdonnat:
> On Tue, 2012-02-21 at 17:09 -0200, Olivier Hallot wrote:
> > Em 21-02-2012 14:41, Alexander Wilms escreveu:
[...]
> > > https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Templates_and_documents_rework
> >
> > ...has the merit to open the discussion on the actual stupid template
> > management dialog/menus... 10 years of LibreOffice and I am still
> > confused by the twisted mind that designed it. I must have missed
> > something really basic all this time. Why on earth do we have to deal
> > with address book in organizing templates?  Why acess files in the New
> > templates dialog?

Some years ago, there has been an effort within the OpenOffice.org
project to improve the template handling situation. Although it might be
a bit outdated now, I think it would be a very valuable resource for
further information.
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Feature_-_Templates

Please also note the archive file at the bottom of the page which
contains screenshots of various applications offering templates.

Alex, I have printed out those wiki page long time ago and added some
usability related comments. If you understand German, I can send you a
PDF of those pages ... any interest?

Furthermore, there should be some usage data available for that
dialog ... from OOo times.

> > Keep going. That will be a major hit for 3.6
>
> I had in mind to change that sooner or later... just a matter of getting
> some time to do the changes ;)
>
> What I had in mind is pretty close to the mockup on the wiki... thought
> I wanted to:
>   * Have this dialog instead of File > New menu
>   * Have the blank documents in that dialog too
>   * Some tag-sorting feature on the templates
>   * Mix all online and local templates in the same dialog for it to be
> transparent to the user.
>   * I would have tried to show the tags on a list / tree on the side of
> the dialog, and wouldn't have used tabs to separate the applications:
> for it to replace File > New submenu it needs to provide quick access to
> at least the blank files creation.

I would like to add another thought. I notice recent changes (in the
master) / proposals (in Bugzilla) for e.g. the About dialog. It would be
a pity if we miss this chance for harmonization ... so maybe we could
create a "reference" layout that could be reused. Here an example how
this could look like (differnt theming, different product, different
windows ... but however):
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User:ChristophNoack/Drafts/WelcomeCenter_2010

> For the connection to the templates repository, I'ld love to see
> something using the CMIS protocol as this could allow us to easily
> plug-in to any entreprise shared templates repository (or the LO online
> templates someday when it'll support CMIS protocol).

++1 :-)

Alex, given the very good feedback and the additional thoughts ...
wouldn't it be helpful to add a whiteboard page in the wiki to collect
such proposals / requirements? Could you please do that?

Cheers,
Christoph