Mirek, all,

thanks for pointing to this interesting article. I tried to find out what you
mean by 'design ethos' and found a mail [1] from you from that started the
topic and the wikipage you created [2].

Unfortunately I think I do not really understand the goal you want to achieve.
For my understanding it is extremely hard to define general design guidelines.

I pick two examples you provide:

I can agree to "Polished - every little thing counts" - no doubt about that.
But that is very general... What does apply for a design from that? How can I
evaluate a design on this?

In opposite "Contextual - [...] Don't show actions that the user can't take
[...]" is at least ambivalent. True: never show stupid or misleading options.
Wrong: never hide e.g. menu elements simply because they are not applicable at
the moment (remember those attempts in M$ Office? Horrible times!)

I think this is a general problem with general guidelines as they are outlined
in the mentioned article as well. Either they are so abstract that nobody
would reject them - but then it is also hard to derive any consequence out of
them --- Or they are specific but exceptions are the rule.

I see a possible solution - and hey, surprise - this again has to do with
researching and understanding users: I think we should try to define
conditions user under which certain rules apply. Conditions could be something
like "If the user is likely to be in a stressful situation, prefer to the use
of a wizard"

This is just my experience, perhaps I did misunderstand your intention here.
What do you think?

Cheers,
Björn

[1] http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/design/msg04372.html