Hi Mirek, all,

Mirek M. píše v St 04. 12. 2013 v 10:03 +0100:

> Yes, here are the decisions [1]:
>
> * Keep sidebar on the left for LTR locales, have it on the right for
> RTL locales.
> * Use thumbnails, but indicate file type using colors or badges. -- We
> still need to design this, but if we don't do it in time, having no
> color codes for this release is fine and we'll put them in the next
> one.
> * Use 2-line labels, with the name cut off in the middle, just like
> the labels in Gnome Documents.
> * Show the full file path (including extension) in a tooltip.
>
> * Button labels: Create Writer Text Document (or simply Writer
> Document, if Writer Text Document is too long in some languages --
> your call), Calc Spreadsheet, Impress Presentation, Draw Drawing, Math
> Formula, Base Database
>
> * Greeting: Welcome to LibreOffice. Use the sidebar to open or create
> a file.

So I have implemented most of these, I think I've left out only the 2
lines description - it is more complex unfortunately :-(  I also fixed a
couple of things that were annoying me personally.  The results are
here:

Empty start center, with no documents:

http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~kendy/design-list/startcenter-empty.png

Some recent documents present:

http://artax.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~kendy/design-list/startcenter-recent.png

You can see some differences to the design, most notably:

- Create
  When playing with that, it started to annoy me that it is _above_ the
  separator line, and that it has smaller font size.  Also, it logically
  belongs to the group of the buttons, so I moved it there, gave it the
  same size as the button text, and added a colon.  I believe it works
  pretty well ;-)

- Thumbnails
  I considerably increased their size, and improved their drawing
  algorithm to antialias the pictures.  Also for the files that have no
  thumbnail, I made it look like the icon is on a piece of paper; looks
  much more consistently when there are more documents open.

- Open File
  I changed the pure 'Open' to 'Open File' - I think it goes better with
  the explanatory Writer Document / Calc Spreadsheet etc.

- Various pixel here, pixel there tweaks
  To get more breathing space etc. - hopefully you are happy with the
  result, it would be just too painful for everybody to ping-pong every
  change there :-)

- Mouse over
  Now we have a mouse over effect when you point at the thumbnails.

Finally - there are still things to fix around accessibility, haven't
changed a bit there; but that shouldn't be affected by the UI freeze, I
still plan to have a look.

Please shout if anything is wrong - but I hope the current state is
acceptable for most :-)  Everyone, please play with the nightly build
that is built after now & report bugs.

All the best,
Kendy