Hello everyone,

the next major update of LibreOffice is planned for Q1/2018. That makes it
necessary to start the design work now. With the experience from the last
process I want to try something different this time: to ask the Open Source
Design group for a professional visual design
(https://github.com/opensourcedesign). We should request at least two variants
in order to involve our community (despite the fact that we blog with a
reference to OSD and everybody can contribute early), where users choose their
preferred design later. And I would add a tough timeline to the request so that
we can run a plan B if anything fails.

We should also improve ourself on how to start a request. Designers usually
work well with a clear goal and a few constraints, such as metaphors, ideas
around the product etc. And that's what I want to ask for in this mail.

My rough proposal:

Task:
* New motif (Question: Or do we want to keep the triangles rather than moving
forward to hexagons?)
  + Current design
    + https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Visual_Elements
* Applying the motif to new splash screen / banner (661x169px)
  + Current design
    + https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding
  + Previous ideas
    + https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Playground/Splash_screen
    + https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding/Banner_Proposals
* Applying the motif to flyers, stickers etc.
  + Current flyers
    + https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Gallery_Flyers
* (Can we technically introduce a new progress bar and do we want to? There is
a proposal https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Chin_Zee_Yuen)
* (What else?)

Restriction
* Follow guidelines for colors and branding
  + https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Marketing/Branding
* Create at least two ideas that can be presented to the community
* Finish the job until end of July 2017
* Use open data format or at least SVG
(What else?)

Metaphors (i.e. For what stands LibreOffice?)
* Transparency, Sustainability, Freedom
* Community
* MUFFIN
* Green
* Six, hexagon, ...

Any comments are welcome, of course. I understand no reply as silent acceptance
and would start the request by end of this week.

Best wishes,
Heiko
--
Dr. Heiko Tietze