@all: Discourse is coming and Sophi asked about some details. Gave my 2¢, no strong opinion on any topic, and wonder what you think. Please comment.

On 11.05.22 16:33, sophi wrote:
> Hi Heiko,
>
> Here are some questions we will need answers from your team to ease the
> migration and/or forum settings
>
> On categories/subcategories:
> To create the categories you need on the Discourse Community instance, we
would
> like to know:
> - will you use category only?

What is the alternative?

> - shall we close the mailing list after migration

No, the ML should remain.

> - what category should we create (name it as it should appear in
> Community)?

This is a question to everyone: I'm thinking of
* Design (UX/design tasks like mockups),
* Patches (simple easyhacks patches for example about terminology),
* Vision (rather far-fetched ideas)
* Presence (discussions about current topics)
* Meetings (what this ML is lately most about)

Given that we have not much discussion on the ML we could also start with just one pot.

> - what sub categories should we create (name them as they should appear in
> Community)? Note there is no third level categories.

Understand Categories as a subcategory of all LibreOffice Discourse topics. Having more hierarchy would be an overkill.

> - what color do you want for your category?

Green, white?

> On subscription/preferences
> Now, there are several options that can help the migration. All these
> options are accessible in the preferences, but please let us know what we
should
> do:
>
> - shall we mass subscribe mailing list users to Community?

Thought topics on Discourse would be forwarded to the ML and vice versa anyway.

> If yes, could you notify them to create a SSO account if it's not already
done.

Sending a message to the ML sounds feasible :-)

> And in case they use different mail addresses, to add them all at
> https://user.documentfoundation.org/edit
> - shall we preset the category to in the watched list for "regulars" and
> "digesters" subscribers. That means that they will receive email notifications
> for each post under a watched category.

Would be nice if users could configure the kind of notification. It's something one can opt-in on the ML as well.

> Note that it's not possible to send digest mails, instead it's one
> message per post, one message for each new thread, or no notifications
> at all.
> - nomailers subscribers will be ignored as there is not this possibility on
> Discourse. Please inform your community
>
> - who should we subscribe to the category moderators.

Volunteers, step forward

> On migrating archives:
> - do you want the archive of the list to be migrated to your category and
> subcategories

If you mean the listarchive this might be a nice to have, if we retire this
service.

--
Dr. Heiko Tietze, UX-Designer and UX-Mentor
Tel: +49 30 5557992-63 | Mail: heiko.tie...@documentfoundation.org