* Italo Vignoli (it...@libreoffice.org) wrote:
> Moving to LibreOffice 8 (instead of 7.6) makes sense for marketing purposes,
> as media is looking at LibreOffice as the real innovator in the open source
> office suite market, and the feeling of journalists is that we are forever
> stuck at 7.x.
>
> We all know that the next version will not include any significant
> innovation which can justify the change of version, apart from the new build
> system for Windows and the availability of LibreOffice for Arm processors on
> Windows (which has not been announced).

Some time ago, I suggested some cleanups (replacement of sal_Int* types
by their standardised versions).   Someone pointed out at the time it
wasn't possible because it would be an API break, but perhaps we could
do it on a major version bump.  This was when 7.x was young.

So, I'm saying if you are going to bump the major version, it would
benefit from some planning ahead rather than a last minute number change
so that any other incompatibilities people want to tidy up can be put
in.
(Irrespective of whether people like my particular change suggestion)

Dave

> Playing with the number 8, which can be rotated 90° to become the "infinite"
> symbol, we can frame the next version as LibreOffice for an infinite number
> of users, as we cover all hardware platforms and all operating systems for
> personal productivity.
>
> This is my opinion. If the community wants to stick with 7.6, I won't
> insist. I have received enough insults both public and private for the
> marketing plan, and I am still receiving them from a few people, that I am
> not willing to enter into that process again (even if the decision on the
> "community" tag has not been mine, but it looks like people have a very
> short memory).
>
> Looking forward to your thoughts.
> --
> Italo Vignoli - LibreOffice Marketing & PR
> mobile/signal +39.348.5653829 - email it...@libreoffice.org
> hangout/jabber italo.vign...@gmail.com
> GPG Key ID - 0xAAB8D5C0
> DB75 1534 3FD0 EA5F 56B5 FDA6 DE82 934C AAB8 D5C0

/ Dr. David Alan Gilbert    |       Running GNU/Linux       | Happy  \
\        dave @ treblig.org |                               | In Hex /