Hi Ivan,

On 3/13/2011 8:39 AM, Ivan M. wrote:
Hi Nik!

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 6:25 AM, Nik<n...@tdf.nikashsingh.com>  wrote:
Hi Ivan and Design!

Today is the last day for adding motif proposals to the Wiki page;
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Motif

I've added mine (at the bottom). And a very hasty description because I'm
running short on time.
Aren't we all ... regardless, your designs are AMAZING. I just wish
they were available in a higher resolution (wallpapers, anyone?).
Thanks and done! =)
You can grab the SVG from the wiki here (or on the motif page);
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/File:TDF_motifscatter_110310NS.svg
Just a note to all, I made it using Illustrator CS5 so if you run into compatibility problems with the file, just let me know.
Overall, my favourite is Scatter (#6), but I'll go through them all
with some feedback. If, at any point, my critique starts sounding
overly negative, please keep in mind that I'm weighing all the options
against Scatter, which I will fawn over in due time.
Ivan, your feedback is always on the money and I never take it personally because you're usually right.
In comparison to MessyStack, OpenBook seems more organised and tidy; I
don't feel that a messy stack of pages necessarily generates a
positive feeling for LibreOffice, whereas OpenBook combines
interesting effects as the transparent pages overlap and limits the
strong greens to the top of the page. It looks more organised and
focused. The only thing I don't like on OpenBook is the green used for
the LibO logo; I would have it in white (with the document icon fill
set to transparent) and I would suggest that it be left-aligned.
Yep, I was worried about the negative impression when I was making it, and not entirely happy with the result when it was done, for the same reasons.
ApplicationCorners is nice, and although it links well to LibreOffice,
the image on the top-left looks like a log on its own, and I think
that sends the wrong message, particularly because there are a good
number of companies that use similar logos. Compared to something more
unique to LibO, like the document corners used wonderfully in Scatter,
I think that, despite being lovely to look at, ApplicationCorners
feels a little out of place with LibO's visual language.
Yeah I know =(, sadly the strength of this design comes as a logo-type-image rather than a motif, like you said.
So I totally agree, it just doesn't fit well.
DocumentFlower is a great idea, but the document symbol with the cut
off corner doesn't appear to lend itself well to this kind of motif -
it feels unbalanced despite being perfectly arranged.
I think the lack of balance creates an interesting "tension" or "movement", but I can see where you're coming from. This Design would need more work to be up to scratch. Which I won't pursue =)
And it is a bit simplistic.
FoldedPage uses great light greens, but it's very abstract, which
makes it seem a little incoherent/incongruous  (at least to my eyes).
If a little order were to be imposed, I think it could work better.
Its a difficult balance between establishing the random (natural) and ordered (artificial) feeling on this one. I think it has promise, but the balance would take time and whether that is worth attempting will depend on feedback from this list.
The current colours of this Design really hide its potential.
And finally, we come to Scatter. One of many possible interpretations
of this could be that it looks like something has been set free, and I
think this fits really well with LibO as a community-driven FLOSS
office suite.
I'm glad someone else gets the same "unleashed" feeling from this Design as I did =)
I think this could work really well with alternating
blues and greens in the scatter design (actually, it would work well
with almost any color). At the moment, the scatter is also confined to
a rectangular area, but it could be adapted to various shapes and
arrangements for use on the website, start/welcome center, etc, and it
would work really well with a minimalist look-and-feel. Subjectively,
that's one of my favourite things about this design: it got me
thinking about how it could be adapted and developed further into
something great more than any of the others.
Good to hear! =)
Phew, I'm all feedbacked-out. Once again, thank you Nik for this great
set of proposals. If you could flick me a SVG copy of Scatter, I'd
love to take a look at it and play around with the colors.
It's all yours. You may need to edit the colours to make it more vibrant. The greens I used in the file are from the branding colours and unfortunately, there is no strong saturated limey-yellow-green in that palette (the support colour is a radioactive green that just doesn't work well with the other greens). The shades of green here are too linear (in that they offer different /tones/ of the same /hue/). I think broader colours (that encroach into neighbouring hues) would certainly help, and create more realistic reflected-light effects in the artwork, but that's another matter.
Regards,
Ivan.

-Nik