On 02/01/2016 01:09 PM, Michael Siepmann wrote:
> On 02/01/2016 01:19 PM, Michael Siepmann wrote:
>>
>> On 01/29/2016 07:35 AM, Stephen Michel wrote:

>>> I don't think "Free the Commons" is the absolute best slogan we could have,
>>> but given that we have already had this conversation and could not find a
>>> better alternative, I think at the least we should not have this
>>> conversation again until the alpha sprint is over.
>> That works for me.  Re Aaron's comments above, I can see how "Free the
>> Commons" makes sense once fully explained.  I just think it's far from
>> self-explanatory or quick to grasp for a newcomer.  One solution
>> might, however, be to keep the slogan as "Free the Commons" but make
>> sure all the other introductory material quickly gets newcomers to a
>> point where "Free the Commons" makes sense to them.

>>> This is what's currently on the site:
>>>
>>> "Like roads we all share, freely-licensed works are public goods that
>>> benefit everyone. So, we need to cooperate to sustainably fund them"
>>>
>>> I think the first sentence is very good at setting the tone and explaining
>>> succinctly. The second, not so much. Perhaps just "We cooperate to
>>> sustainably fund them."
>> Although I agree the first sentence is generally very good, I find
>> "Like roads we all share" a bit wordy and awkward to read. How about
>> "Like public roads"?  For the second sentence, I think "we" has
>> problematic ambiguity about who it refers to.  I also think it might
>> be helpful to to make it clearer that the funding comes from a large
>> group of people, perhaps by using the term "crowdfunding".  So how
>> about this:
>>
>>     Like public roads, freely-licensed works are public goods that
>>     benefit everyone.
>>
>>     Snowdrift.coop enables sustainable crowdfunding for
>>     freely-licensed works.
>>
>> This second sentence could also be used alone in other contexts,
>> potentially.
>
> Another thought: Changing "public roads" to "well-maintained public
> roads" might really help by more explicitly pointing to the connection
> between "a snowdrift" and "public goods that benefit everyone". So how
> about:
>
>     Like well-maintained public roads, freely-licensed works are public
>     goods that benefit everyone.

I see the impetus, but "well-maintained roads… benefit everyone" is like
saying "great FLO software benefits everyone". Sure, lousy public goods
aren't much benefit, but they're still public goods. So, this phrasing
seems to confuse the *issue* of public goods and the ideal of *great*
public goods. And we want to talk about the shittiness of public goods
status quo!

>     Snowdrift.coop enables sustainable crowdfunding for freely-licensed
>     works.
>
> I'm also tempted to mention a few examples so it's less abstract:
>
>     Like well-maintained public roads, freely-licensed works are public
>     goods that benefit everyone.
>
>     Snowdrift.coop enables sustainable crowdfunding for freely-licensed
>     works - for example software, music, art, journalism, etc.

That impetus to list software, music, art, journalism, educational
materials, and research… that matches my own and is nearly exactly the
text I had in older versions of the homepage from early on, basically
prior to our fund drive at the end of 2014…

It went through lots of iterations but for example at one point it was:

---

Cultural and educational works, technology, scientific research, and
journalism all provide the greatest value when everyone can freely
access, adapt, and share.

But since our consumer market fails for <i>public goods</i>, most
creative projects support their work with <i>artificial restrictions</i>
and <i>third-party ads</i>.

Yet if we cooperate, we can fund progress without compromise…

----

That's a bit wordy, but you get the gist and it gives some perspective
of how I was trying to express things before. Mostly, inside folks
criticized the length and verbosity (not without merit), but we didn't
have enough outside feedback and research…