On Sat, May 21, 2016 at 3:12 PM, cnnr_dh...@live.com wrote:
[Not sure if this is the best way to reply to this, sorry]

Here are the rules I follow. Many are based off things Bryan has said, since I find his emails really readable.

- Always quote, for context. Quote blocks are indented using `> ` per indentation level. Most email clients (web and desktop; maybe not outlook?) can be configured this way.
- Put your replies directly below each quote you are responding to.
- Aggressively omit sections that you're not responding to (but make sure to keep the "On $date at $time, $person wrote:" line).
 - Any completely new topics or preface should go at the top.
- If you want to be more conversational you can just respond at the top or (preferably) bottom instead of in line. If you do this, don't be as aggressive about omitting sections you aren't responding to.

Count me in favor of budgeting so long as it's optional: if the feature is sufficiently tucked away and not advertised (except maybe a "what if I'm poor?" FAQ) it will only be used by those who need it. And for everyone else, we should consider a passive version of this, where you receive alerts rather than a hard cap - so for example, you get an email like:

"hey, you asked us to let you know when your monthly payment increases by more than [some configurable amount], and this month it will be $XX more. If that's cool with you, simply ignore this email. Otherwise, log in now/click here to change your contributions."

You'd get this email a bit before the payment so you have plenty of time to act, and that should certainly suffice to make many people comfortable getting started, since we're used to this setup with other things (subscription free trials, credit card payments, etc). This is of course in addition to the option of a hard budget. It might also help to add in a generated list of the projects that caused much of the increase (in a positive light, like "this +$5 will be used to match the increased support for project xxx and xxx!").

Speaking of hard caps, (and since I'm a fan of things continuing to work when you haven't been online in a while,) the choosing of projects to drop upon hitting a cap should be passive IMHO, not active - rather than saying "hey you've hit a limit and we need you to pick projects to drop now", imagine the live list of supported projects being perpetually reorderable: as you go along you always rearrange them such that when the limit is reached, the projects at the bottom of the list get dropped (as needed) by default and of course notifying the patron of what happened. Again, this is so that things keep chugging along when the patron is not around.

Also: When the monthly payout goes *down*, it may prove rewarding to encourage the patron with the budgeting option to sort of "roll over" the difference towards future payouts.

Pretty much agreed with all of this. There are some implementation details to work out but we'll cross that bridge when we get past MVP :)