On 10/14/2016 12:05 PM, mray wrote:
> 
> 
> On 14.10.2016 07:22, Aaron Wolf wrote:
>> It's not perfect, but I think this is usable. I worked hard to capture
>> every aspect that would cover all the important elements, avoid
>> misunderstanding from people who might have the wrong guesses if things
>> weren't quite clear, and achieves the basic idea of a compelling
>> introduction from which people should jump to learning the details
>> and/or signing up.
>>
>> Audio here: http://snowdrift.sylphs.net/f/a3591afcb5/?raw=1
>>
>> That's a direct download to a FLAC file
>>
>> Here's the script: http://snowdrift.sylphs.net/f/9894866a59/?raw=1
>>
>> Both are available to the design group in Seafile as well.
>>
>> The fundamental images I insist on having in the video are the ones that
>> show the road blocked by snowdrift (it should be blocked enough to be
>> clearly a problem, not just sorta snowy), the toll-road with cameras and
>> billboards, and the vision we want: a nice clear road with trees and no
>> billboards, no obstacles.
>>
>> I can easily imagine other illustrations or text shown in the video to
>> accompany the narration, but the core thing is the road images and then
>> just whatever else will fill out a functional video.
>>
>> We can always iterate or make updated versions later, but right now we
>> need a first version that's good enough to actually put live and then
>> start getting feedback on and be usable for our initial launch.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Aaron
>>
>>
> 
> 
> Thanks Aaron!
> 
> As expected this is quite a bit long which is why I take the freedom to
> use only parts of the snippet. For now my plan is to us this:
> 

As the person in charge of communications, it does step on my toes to
freely edit the snippet. I want to discuss and clarify (and perhaps
redo) in regards to feedback.

The recording is under 2 minutes, and I included every element for a
good reason. I understand that concision is a value, but I am going to
insist that we not favor concision when it hurts the communication too much.

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Snowdtrift.coop has a new solution to help everyone cooperate in solving
> the snowdrift dilemma.
> 
> In our crowdmatching system, you don't risk volunteering while everyone
> else freerides. Instead, you say, "I'll help, but I'm not doing it all
> myself. I'll chip in a little more for each person who joins me!"
> 
> And instead of one-time, hyped-up, all-or-nothing campaigns, we
> calculate our crowdmatching donations monthly, combining mutual
> assurance with sustainable funding and accountability.
> 
> Snowdrift.coop will support any projects developing true public goods
> under free/libre/open licenses with no extra gates, tolls, or
> limitations. Join us in clearing the path to a better, free and open future!
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> 
> The snippet is easier to digest and covers a more realistic amount of
> time/work for having something up in time. Any thoughts on this?
> 

I agree that this is the conclusion, but it loses the entire premise. It
loses the one most important element which is the image of a public road
versus a toll road.

I'd rather have a video that only had the premise, that just talked
about the snowdrift dilemma and the roads and then have plain images and
text somewhere to read about the Snowdrift.coop solution.

I don't actually want either cut, of course. I think that these are all
completely essential in the long-run:

* "public goods" are infinitely sharable
* examples for people to understand concretely (music, movies, software…)
* toll-roads suck (and some image or sense of why this dilemma exists)
* crowdmatching is the solution, sustainable, accountable

In the immediate "what the hell is Snowdrift.coop, and why is it funding
itself and not any other projects yet?" situation, the most concise we
can go with is:

"If we can't all cooperate to clear the roads we all share, we'll be
stuck with just toll roads!" and the images to accompany that.

So, here's my suggestion (I can make new recording once finalized):

```
If we can't all cooperate to maintain the roads we all share, we'll only
have toll roads!

To fund public goods, Snowdrift.coop introduces a new crowdmatching
system where you don't risk volunteering while everyone else freerides.
Instead, you say, "I'll help, but I'm not doing it all myself. I'll chip
in a little more for each person who joins me!"

And instead of one-time, hyped-up, all-or-nothing campaigns, we
calculate our crowdmatching donations monthly, combining mutual
assurance with sustainable funding and accountability.

Snowdrift.coop will support any projects developing true public goods
under free/libre/open licenses with no extra gates, tolls, or
limitations. Join us in clearing the path to a better, free and open future!
```

And I can make sure the wiki content covers the pesky concerns about
what really makes things public goods, although eventually we might work
that into future videos or pages directly on the site.

So my concise script above is nearly as concise as the part you selected
from my longer script and it includes the premise that I insist is
essential.

If this seems good to everyone, I'll make a new recordings with that
shorter script.

> Oh about the audio quality - i think there is room for improvement, I
> just don't know how much or how easy. For now only the content and
> timing is important, but in the end we might to turn some knobs there.
> 

I already worked on thinking about the audio quality and tweaking knobs
and things. The goal was to get a good clear sound that will play well
on all different speakers. For good sound, some music or other ambience
in the background will make sense.

I had mixed feelings about the amount of bass roll-off and might redo it
with a bit less of that.

> 
> Thanks for putting it together!
> 

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: OpenPGP digital signature

_______________________________________________
Design mailing list
Design@lists.snowdrift.coop
https://lists.snowdrift.coop/mailman/listinfo/design

Reply via email to