On 10/18/2016 07:55 AM, Michael Siepmann wrote:
>> The problem I have with the story is that anything a little too
>> far-fetched is hard to accept. People don't have the experience of
>> living in a town that has no tax-funded public services. Perhaps if the
>> story were described as a rural road out of town where there's no mayor
>> or such, then it's just the individuals in the houses in the
>> neighborhood dealing with the challenge of cooperation without an
>> existing government structure for support.
> True, but doesn't the same apply to the whole snowdrift / tolls & ads
> idea in our cartoon illustrations?

No, I've even heard from real people who are like "yeah, I have that
exact snowdrift dilemma in my neighborhood with people clearing the
sidewalks" and such.

Everyone has experienced toll-roads and billboards.

These are not far-fetched ideas at all. The whole "some town off
somewhere" etc. gives an othering feeling of a story happening to
someone else.

Psychologically, the more concrete details you give, the more the
observer feels they are watching someone else and the more vague and
general it is, the more they can readily see it as their situation and
fill in the details with those that they know from their own experience.

> I'm leaning toward the view that Bryan brought up in the meeting
> yesterday (before you joined, Aaron) that we may be better off not
> trying to use any reference to snowdrifts and instead changing our name
> to crowdmatch.coop.  I think trying to start with a snowdrift makes it
> much harder than it otherwise would be to create a clear quick and
> engaging introductory explanation.

While I understand the impetus to consider a name-change, I don't think
it makes sense, and I don't think we'll be more successful by dropping
the core principle explaining the challenge of public goods.

For the video, we can omit the whole toll-road aspect as long as we
frame it correctly. If the point is to just skip the meaningful context
and get down to what we do (which has some merit), we can skip the large
story and just say "With a snowdrift we all need cleared, everyone gets
the results whether or not they helped do the work! That's the dilemma
facing public goods. Other public include music, software…"

In that script, the reason to reference the snowdrift is (A) to just
have a clear simply thing to visualize briefly and (B) to tie into the
name and the whole concept that we *will* discuss in many contexts
later, just not in this first version of a video.

I'm not saying that I prefer the video to gloss over the snowdrift idea
so quickly, but I'm willing to accept that approach in order to just get
a quick first functional-enough video.

A longer video explaining the ideas well, ideally both accurate-enough
to impart the gist of the academic ideas but also feel story-like
enough, would be a great thing to have eventually.

I hope today to find time to write out the concerns I see and the
communication policy that is to be followed for communicating these ideas.