On 17.10.2016 23:10, Michael Siepmann wrote:

> On 10/17/2016 09:16 AM, mray wrote:
>> <snip>
>>

> As I mentioned in the meeting today, I think a more story-oriented, less
> academic approach would be preferable (though it would be good to have
> rigorous academic-style explanations available somewhere for those who
> want them, but probably text and images rather than video would be fine
> for that).  I've drafted a script to illustrate what I mean.  It's
> longish - reading it aloud took me just over 2 minutes - and I'm not
> suggesting it as a final draft, but more just something to illustrate a
> different approach that I think could be more engaging for a wider range
> of people.  It has two voices - narrator and character, in order to
> combine a personal story approach with a third-person explanatory approach:
>
> ```
>
> {Narrator voice}
>
> Here's a riddle for you: How is creating software, music, movies, etc,
> like clearing a snowdrift?
>
> {Character voice}
>
> “A few years ago, the only road out of our town was blocked by a
> snowdrift. If enough of us had worked together, we could have cleared it
> in no time. But I wasn't going to spend hours shoveling it on my own, or
> with just a few fellow shovelers. Seems everyone else felt the same way,
> so the snowdrift just sat there. Nobody could get in or out of town for
> days.”
>
> “Eventually the snowdrift melted and a slick sales guy drove into town.
> He offered us guaranteed snow removal in return for letting “Tolls R Us,
> Incorporated” charge tolls, track our driving habits, and plaster the
> roadside with 'smart' billboards that would show ads targeted to whoever
> was driving by.”
>
> “Nobody wanted tolls, surveillance, or billboards on our beautiful
> scenic road. But nobody wanted to be trapped by a snowdrift again, either.”
>
> “Just as our mayor was about to reluctantly sign on the dotted line,
> some kid yelled out 'Stop! There's a better way!'”
>
> “You know what? That kid's idea really worked! We call it
> /crowdmatching/. Now, anytime a snowdrift needs clearing, a crowd of
> people shows up, willing to spend 1 minute shoveling for every 10 people
> who shovel too. Last time, 100 people showed up. With 100 people each
> willing to shovel for 10 minutes, that poor snowdrift didn't stand a
> chance!”
>
> {Narrator voice}
>
> You might not be too concerned about snowdrifts, but we're all actually
> in a similar situation with digital goods like music, software, movies,
> news, and research.
>
> The same way it was hard for the townspeople to cooperate to clear the
> snowdrift, it's hard for people to cooperate to fund creation of 'public
> goods' that benefit us all.
>
> As a result, many good things don't get created at all, while others get
> encumbered with artificial restrictions, ads, and surveillance.

> [...]

Here is my impression:

I like the introduction with presenting it like a riddle.
It captures attention and makes curious. It also prepares you for the
kind of explanation that will happen afterwards.

The narrator/character-play feels somewhat too strong tool as it seems
to work great for more complex presentations. I fear if we succeed in
making our presentation simple enough it might not fit well.

It is also quite long and contains many story related details that may
be necessary only for good storytelling.

I don't think a connection to peoples every day life is relevant here,
since it is obviously a metaphor in a story, so that is not an issue i
think.