Sure, and I'm all for trying new things - if you know me you know this
is the case - I'm all for stabs at anything. It was just something
interesting I saw in the apps that I hadn't come across before, and I
was wondering about it for the purpose of mobile web and whether such
a thing would be useful there.

It wasn't 100% clear to me however what the goals for canned edit
summaries were and what the rationale was for it - hence this
discussion. I imagine there is data to back up the need for this, but
there is no conversation anywhere on a mailing list - so hence this
conversation and a request to please share that and show me they are
useful so I spend my free time coding it for mobile web :-).

I know I personally with an autocomplete/tag setup would become lazy.
Whereas I might currently use an edit summary like "it's->its" might
instead resort to the easy "Spelling/grammar change". I don't know
which of those edit summaries would be more useful to the people that
deal with them on a day to day basis.

--
Jon Robson
* http://jonrobson.me.uk