Public bug reported:
Binary package hint: gnome-power-manager
I have a laptop with a large battery. When GPM gets to the point where
it uses battery-020, the applet/indicator in the panel makes me think
I'm going to run out of batter imminently (e.g. next 15-30 minutes).
Indeed, on another laptop with a smaller batter, I usually get this when
I have only ~20-30 minutes left. But on this laptop, if I click on the
indicator, it tells me I have 1 hour, 30 minutes left, which is about 3
times longer than I want to go before getting notified that I'm about to
run out of battery.
So there are several solutions I can think of, and I'm sure there are more:
1) GPM ships with an orange icon for battery-020, and a red icon for
battery-000. You could just say it is a problem with the icon theme. The
problem is that this is not good for a lot of more symbolic (at least in the
panel) icon themes (e.g. ubuntu-mono, elementary).
2) Somehow implement it so that the percent at which it turns red is
configurable. (Easily configurable, not hacking the icon theme configurable).
3) Somehow implement it so that if you get to a certain amount of battery time
left (ideally also user-configurable, but it doesn't have to be here, unlike in
#2), /then/ the icon turns red. I like this solution out of all the ones I see.
4) Something else I didn't think of. :)
For solutions 2 and 3, the icon spec for gpm could merely be changed to
have gpm-battery-[01][02468]0 /and/ something like gpm-
battery-[01][02468]0-warning. The gpm-battery-* could be normal, and
the gpm-battery-*-warning could be the red ones that get displayed when
you start to run out.
=====
ProblemType: Bug
DistroRelease: Ubuntu 10.10
Package: gnome-power-manager 2.32.0-0ubuntu1
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.35-25.44-generic-pae 2.6.35.10
Uname: Linux 2.6.35-25-generic-pae i686
NonfreeKernelModules: wl
Architecture: i386
Date: Fri Feb 4 14:57:17 2011
GnomeSessionIdleInhibited: No
GnomeSessionInhibitors: None
GnomeSessionSuspendInhibited: No
InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" - Release i386 (20101007)
MachineType: Dell Inc. Studio 1737
ProcCmdLine: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-25-generic-pae
root=UUID=076f8d28-c4ba-458d-be88-d1311ab34135 ro quiet splash
ProcEnviron:
PATH=(custom, user)
LANG=en_US.utf8
SHELL=/bin/bash
SourcePackage: gnome-power-manager
dmi.bios.date: 11/25/2009
dmi.bios.vendor: Dell Inc.
dmi.bios.version: A08
dmi.board.name: 0P792H
dmi.board.vendor: Dell Inc.
dmi.board.version: A08
dmi.chassis.type: 8
dmi.chassis.vendor: Dell Inc.
dmi.chassis.version: A08
dmi.modalias:
dmi:bvnDellInc.:bvrA08:bd11/25/2009:svnDellInc.:pnStudio1737:pvrA08:rvnDellInc.:rn0P792H:rvrA08:cvnDellInc.:ct8:cvrA08:
dmi.product.name: Studio 1737
dmi.product.version: A08
dmi.sys.vendor: Dell Inc.
** Affects: gnome-power-manager (Ubuntu)
Importance: Undecided
Status: New
** Tags: apport-bug i386 maverick
--
You received this bug notification because you are a member of Ubuntu
Desktop Bugs, which is subscribed to gnome-power-manager in ubuntu.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/713356
Title:
indicator icon gives user false sense of alarm
--
desktop-bugs mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/desktop-bugs