On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 14:47 +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-06-09 at 19:00 -0400, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> > - To be realistic, if GNOME-2.12 is released after GTK+-2.8,
> >   most distributors are going to ship using them together.
> >
> >   So, the release team could decide to go with 2.6 even with
> >   the current GTK+ schedule, but the result then would be less
> >   testing of what people actually ship.
>
>       Yeah, and that would significantly undermine the whole release process
> IMHO. If the value of having GNOME releases is to have the very latest
> GNOME technologies released as a stable, coherent and integrated set,
> then by creating a situation where distributors go off for themselves
> and figure out what *really* is the latest stable set of GNOME
> technologies, we really reduce the relevance of GNOME releases.

Well there are GNOME hackers working at all the major distributors who I
am sure are able to inform the rest of their organization that going
with GTK 2.8 would greatly increase the risk of bug and problems since
it is not what the community have developed and tested with.

If we believe that we can't influence the distributions on what they
ship anyway, then maybe our whole release process is to be considered
useless. I mean what is the point of doing GNOME releases if we assume
nobody cares about how we compose our releases anyway.

Christian