On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 09:53 -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-01-10 at 12:49 +0100, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
> >
> > 4. Enhance GConf:
> >

> The right fix IMO is that apps should parse the schema files
> client-side, and don't "install" them to the gconf source at all.
>
> See: http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/plans.html
>
> This has a bunch of advantages, among them simplifying packaging.

Agreed. Although, it doesn't really work for a more immediate solution,
which I think Stanislav is looking for.

According to the RPM documentation, the way to handle this currently,
is unfortunately, to do the --makefile-uninstall-rule in the %pre of
the new package, if it's an upgrade, or in the %preun of the package,
in the event of straight package removal.

I'm not sure what the best method for dpkg or other systems would be
though. Hopefully less nasty.

-- dobey