On Wed, Feb 08, 2006 at 02:20:15PM +0000, Gustavo J. A. M. Carneiro wrote:

> > perhaps but the real question is why isn't this a branch in CVS? Why is
> > there a need for clandestine development?
>
>   Maybe because CVS branches are inherently complicated.  And maybe
> because you have to ask permission of the maintainer before creating a
> branch on a module.  And maybe because if everyone starts making lots of
> branches, your namespace of CVS branches/tags starts to get polluted
> very quickly.

There is a saying here about poor workmen and tools.

Perhaps CVS is not the best revision control system invented by man,
but by the same token it works pretty good, has enabled us to create
an excellent product, and seems to work for most of what we want to
do 90% of the time.

Interestingly, if you ask to create a development branch, most
maintainers will say yes. If you create a branch like
novell-development, you get the power to use it over and over again.

--d

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA