On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 13:33 -0700, Elijah Newren wrote:
>   - David's recent point in this thread about the desktop release set
> not being so important also rings true to me.  It's a binary in-or-out
> yet there are lots of really rocking "Gnome" programs that are well
> integrated but aren't in the set.

It's foolish to imagine that being in the desktop release set is
essential. But it's also foolish to ignore the big benefits to focusing
our efforts (in a synchronized way) on particular implementations of the
features that we want. It allows us to release software for distros to
use.

Nobody is actually saying that the desktop release set is the whole
story, so there's not much point arguing that it isn't.

>   We've talked about franchising the
> release process and blurring the in-or-out line, but don't yet really
> know how to do that and haven't gotten any traction on the problem.

By example, I hope. Bindings was a start, and should be followed by
SysAdmin Tools and then hopefully by Productivity and Power Tools.

--
Murray Cumming
[EMAIL PROTECTED]