On Wed, 2006-10-04 at 09:44 +0200, Jan de Groot wrote:
> The problem is that 17" TFT screens with 1280x1024 in dualhead setups
> are also becoming quite common. Given the limitation of ATI R200 and
> R300 cards, which have a maximum 3D framebuffer of 2048x0248, it's
> impossible to use dualhead in combination with XGL or AIGLX in
> fullscreen, which means GL compositing is impossible.

AFAIK that point will be moot with Xorg's new way of doing multiscreen
(see Xorg's ml archive about RandR 1.2, discussion between Alex Deucher
and Keith Packard about MergeFB).
When I started using compiz it was just for the fun of it, but believe
me now I can't go back to Metacity. Having windows slightly wobble when
you move them, having your virtual desktops mapped on cube faces, and
all the sorts of other details make the desktop experience much much
more concrete. With compiz your windows feel like *real* entities.

Whatever. All distros adopt compiz (heck, even on debian it's one
aptitude install away), and all users I know who touched it won't go
back to something else. Its development community is alive and kicking.
Either metacity adapts itself to the new needs, quick, or it will be a
new sawfish.

        Xav