On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 1:27 PM, Alberto Ruiz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 2008/6/21 Jason D. Clinton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> And there's a discussion about it already, there's even a BoF at GUADEC
> around the topic.

PGO is the wrong place for that discussion and  as I said in the first
sentence of my email, this thread is for everyone; not just those that can
afford to go to GUADEC or who blog to PGO.

> 3. Marketing to developers must get ramped up; we agree that we need a new
>> generation of awesome developers to bring new ideas and blood in to our
>> process. A number of our Gnome modules are in "barely maintained" mode. With
>> new blood, we can reinvigorate 2.x while looking to the future. And I've
>> volunteer for this one in the form of 15 minute screen casts. However, it
>> needs web hosting space. And that needs Gnome resources. What do we have to
>> do to make this hosting happen? What else can we do to get more developers?
>

> Is there anything preventing you to put the videos at your GNOME's home
> directory and serve it through http? I can't see why those screencasts
> should wait before the hipotetically needed bandwidth is there.

This is a marketting effort. Nothing hurts something like that more than a
false-start. We need to make sure the bandwidth is there first.

Actually, you can just put those videos at youtube and provide a secondary
> ogg link, that will solve the bandwidth problem and it wil provide an
> "usable" way to watch the video for most people, and a freedom-compilant
> version of the video.

YouTube doesn't provide sufficient quality for a screen cast. A screen cast
where you can't read the text defeats the purpose.

> As a side note, if you want to drive leadership I will strongly encourage
> you to avoid any sentence that starts with "I hate", if you have something
> against some developers' decisions on the tools they want to use, just give
> your rationale behind your opinion and recognize the benefits of what they
> use as well. Don't assume people is just wrong since that will inevitably
> drive the discussion into a passionate argue instead of a constructive
> conversation. Remember, encouraging people to move forward is way more
> important than making your personal points clear.

You also appear to have misread my email. I'm *advocating* the inclusion of
Mono with 100% approval so that we can MEND the rift in our community.