On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Frej Soya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> John Carr <john.carr <at> unrouted.co.uk> writes:
>

> > > Also, shouldn't this be integrated into particular applications?
> > > Shouldn't Evolution have a sync menu item, replacing it's current awful
> > > gnome-pilot synchronization feature.
> >
> > Personally, I want to plug in my device and have my desktop say "hey,
> wanna
> >sync this?". The next time I plug it in, i just want it to sync. If i
> leave it
> >plugged in, I want things to sync in response to change events in the
> >applications we are syncing.John
>
> Is that possible with bluetooth devices? For local sync i assume (well it's
> pure
> guessing) that bluetooth would be the major use case.
>
> If it's GUI button+bluetooth vs. physical insertion+auto detection, i
> actually
> prefer a button. I really don't think it's horrible to have a sync button,
> especially when cool wireless hardware saves me from the annnoying cable.
>
> With bluetooth, the 'always on case' consumes power on two portable devices
> (laptop+phone)?
>
> Ofcourse my point of view is based on my (possible) use of conduit ;).
> That's
> calendar and contacts.

I support people using SynCE (the software for using all Windows Mobile
devices on Linux/*BSD) and by far the majority are using cable based
connections. Myself included. I tend to have the cable with me for charging,
and its easier to plug in my phone and have stuff happen then mess around
establishing a bluetooth connection.

But we can support both use cases. And I know some people who are on
desktops and want their machine to scan for their phone and sync in the
background if its available. We can do that too.

John