On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 18:33 +0100, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 10:28 -0700, Sandy Armstrong wrote:
> > On 03/24/2009 08:47 AM, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > > Using Compiz to create a GNOME desktop using GNOME applications, the
> > > GNOME control-center, and so forth will of course remain possible. We
> > > have no current plans to create hard dependencies on GNOME Shell within
> > > the GNOME desktop (just as there are no hard dependencies on gnome-panel
> > > now.)
> >
> > Yeah, but I can still use gnome-panel in compiz.  I understand the
> > reasoning here, and don't have any suggestions or anything, but it's a
> > bit disappointing that the new desktop experience will be so tied to the
> > window manager.
>
> Asking to leave all the compiz goodness will be a tough sell :)

What in particular would you miss? We're not looking to take goodness
away from you, we are looking to replace it with better goodness (*).

- Owen

(*) Better here means, in particular, better integrated with GNOME.
Hopefully more concentrated on consistent design and usability. Probably
not quite as pretty, at least initially. Though there's no inherent
reason we can't match Compiz bling for bling; we have access to the same
hardware capabilities and a better programming environment.