On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 7:50 PM, Alberto Ruiz <ar...@gnome.org> wrote:
> Shotwell is widely deployed and used, it has a team of people working on it,
> and a commercial backer. These are VERY important things, prolly the most
> important things to take into account, you worry too much about the data
> store technologies, Tracker is great, but it is by no means the only
> accepted data store in the desktop.

The point is that we already use Tracker in GNOME (Documents and Boxes
depend on it) and I don't see any reason for existing apps to stop
using it and while we could compromise on some code-duplication, its
certainly a big issue if there is two entities harvesting metadata
from tons of photos on every GNOME installation.

> If Yorba is open to follow the designs from the GNOME design team, I can't
> see any reason why we shouldn't go that way. IMHO is the quickest and more
> sustainable path to have a great photo browsing experience for GNOME 3.

+1 and its really nice to see that Yorba is very serious about GNOME
integration. Having said that I do feel that they need to do a bit
more on this front. For starters they really should use our infra
(bugzilla, git, mailing-list etc).

--
Regards,

Zeeshan Ali (Khattak)