I'm a end-user of Gnome and Fcitx, and co-developer of this extension (
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/261/kimpanel/)

One year ago i was still using iBus as my first-choice input method, but it
has bugs and runs slowly, so i turned to fcitx. Fcitx is now growing up
smoothly and has a lot of new features, for example i'm now using
fcitx-keyboard for English inputing which has spell-checker and word
prediction for i'm not a native english speaker.

In technical way,  as far as i know iBus now also has a gnome-shell
extension to integrate with gnome-shell via DBus, with no special code.
Fcitx did the same way but just some difference in implementation.

the kimpanel-gnome-shell extension is a gjs implementation of Kimpanel
which provides a general communication interface with IMs via DBus, it now
works well with gnome-shell.  there is a screenshot i took while writing
this mail (http://static.bigeagle.me/kimpanel-gnome-shell.png).   *And it
can also work with ibus.*

My point is neither ibus nor fcitx should be the default IM or even the
ONLY IM for gnome, that would be a tragedy for users, and making me think
of m$ and IE. What if ibus cannot satisfy me? Should i give up Gnome for a
better IM?

In technical way, it's NOT difficult to make a general abstraction for IM,
which can be middleware for most IMs to work well with gnome. Kimpanel for
KDE is a good example.  and as far as i know, Weng Xuetian is now planning
for Kimpanel2, which fixes some historical protocol bugs of kimpanel.  He
would be glad to help u to do this work.

I love gnome and fcitx , and ibus , too. So just let theme to live
together.

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 12:56 AM, Allan Day <allanp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Frederic Peters <fpet...@gnome.org> wrote:
> > Jasper St. Pierre wrote:
> >
> >> We only have the development resources to ship one input method. It's
> >> going to need special code to integrate with Clutter and the St
> >> toolkit. If IBus is bad right now, we need to fix it.
> >
> > Or use fcitx instead of IBus? I honestly do not know the topic, but I
> > read the emails from Marguerite Su and believe she brought important
> > points. I'd like to understand what are the plus points of IBus today.
>
> I can't provide a technical comparison. What I can say is that I have
> established a productive relationship with the iBus team as I've
> worked on this feature, and I've had some productive (and quite
> detailed) design conversations with them. They seem committed to
> making iBus work with GNOME, and are are working towards that end.
>
> Allan
> --
> IRC:  aday on irc.gnome.org
> Blog: http://afaikblog.wordpress.com/