Le mardi 16 octobre 2012 à 12:31 -0500, Ma Xiaojun a écrit :
> Well, I don't think file archiver is an unimportant component of desktop.

Small project does not mean unimportant. Small simply means that a
limited effort is needed to keep it up to date, and working with latest
libraries. This so far, has worked great in this project, just like any
other Gnome project of this size.

> It may have relatively small codebase currently, tough.
> What if you find yourself have trouble opening an archive from your
> professor or boss?
> File a bug on Bugzilla? Contact the author by E-mail directly? Ask in
> desktop-devel-list?

If you find a bug, you open a bug ticket in Bugzilla. This is the same
rule for all the projects regardless of their size. Sending private
e-mail to author and developers shall be restricted to security issues.
Finally, mailing list are mostly for user support, design discussion,
etc. Those subject are usually split between mailing list to reduce
traffic.

> I don't think a mailing list is an overkill.
> Some mailing lists on other application are not that high volume too.

Again, all Gnome project have a mailing list, but smaller projects
shares this mailing list as need. Again, we don't often have file-roller
being a top topic, this project seems to just work at the moment.

> I would also run 7-zip with wine to workaround some problems.
> But this should be a solution you would like, right?

Using Wine in general does not seems right to me. If you are having
issues with 7-zip support, then file a bug, and properly describe the
problems and step to reproduce.

> > As per the other things, this is open source, it sure would be great if each
> > app and library had up to date information and dedicated resources but our
> > resources are limited to the people stepping up to do the job.
> I know this for sure.
>
> > If you think the file roller wiki page needs updating, this could be a great
> > opportunity for you to cotribute to GNOME. Just figure out what's missing
> > and what needs updating and add it yourself, that's what wikis are for. Any
> > help is welcome Ma, thanks a lot for your feedback and I look forward to
> > your contributions!
> There isn't a portal-like wiki page yet.

Well, if you thinks it's useful, create one,
https://live.gnome.org/FileRoller . Clearly the sourceforge page is an
ancestor, all the source code has been moved to gnome.org now.

regards,
Nicolas