On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 4:31 PM, Robert Roth <robert.roth....@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Matthias Clasen (mclasen) asked me to write and let you know that I will
> be taking over the maintenance of libgtop.
>
> libgtop is the library used by System Monitor and Control Center (if you
> are a developer of an application using libgtop, please let me know) to
> query system information, but unfortunately the development has stalled,
> the last release has happened in 2011, almost two years ago.
>
> My goals for the 3.12 cycle (as we're getting close to the 3.9 freeze,
> only for the next cycle) are to review the buglist of the module, and
> extend it to provide library support for various gnome-system-monitor
> enhancement requests, but in the meantime keep it simple and fast enough to
> back the upcoming Usage application.
>
> Thanks for reading,

I was trying to hack on the libgtop code a little while ago, and I just
found it hard to hack on. The code was generated, and it seemed to be put
together by this giant mess of perl scripts.

So, I wonder if it makes sense to stop generating libgtop and instead just
focus on a solid, easily understood codebase. I never really understood why
we had a client/daemon split, either; it doesn't seem that we're doing
anything too fancy on either side. Is it that we require root for reading
some of the files? Should we move to a system DBus service instead?

The other thing is that libgtop seems to be munging a lot of procfs files.
I wonder if it'or something (completely made up example).
 s possible to investigate new kernel APIs or make ones so that instead of
looking for "MemTotal:" in /proc/meminfo, we could just read
/proc/mem/memtotal

Robert
> --
> Robert Roth