Hey Richard,

On vie, 2014-01-17 at 18:07 +0000, Richard Henwood wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have been using gnome 3.10 with a touch screen and gnome 3.8 with a
> stylus+tablet using absolute positioning.
>
> With both interfaces, I have the following pain points:
>
> + I can't access the bar at the bottom of the screen (gnome-shell?)
> that has the eject functionality etc. I typically get this by running
> the mouse off the bottom - which is not possible with a touch screen
> or stylus/tablet with absolute positioning.

That is a known problem... fixable when gnome-shell gets to handle
desktop-level gestures.

> + The scroll bars are tricky to use when I have a long list (like my
> email). A single pixel movement on the scroll bar can sometimes mean
> more than one new page of the list is displayed. Button at the top or
> bottom that support small increments do not exist.

Most scrollable contents in GTK+ applications should be touch-friendly,
with the notable exception of WebKitWebView based widgets. You should be
able to scroll by doing 1-finger touch atop the contents, not only
touching on the scrollbar. What hardware is that? Stylus+tablet sounds
Wacom, but that about the touchscreen? What xorg input driver are those
devices using? what email client is that?

> I would appreciate guidance on the first steps I can take to help the
> gnome touch screen support effort.

There's definitely a few rough points, you can check the general state
of things in https://wiki.gnome.org/Design/OS/Touchscreen , issues are
quite scattered as you see so there's a few ML and IRC channels involved
unfortunately, #gnome-hackers should have most of the involved people
around though.

Cheers,
  Carlos