On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 5:49 PM, Christian Hergert <christ...@hergert.me>
wrote:

> On 12/24/2015 11:17 AM, philip.chime...@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > I'm really interested in participating but circumstances prevent me from
> > attending in person. I just signed up as the first remote participant.
> > My purpose with this e-mail is to encourage other remotees to sign up;
> > and to ask for some ideas about how remotees can meaningfully
> participate.
>
> This is great, and something I'd like to see more of, given what travel
> does to our environment.
>
> What can we do to make sure you feel enabled to participate?
>
> Assuming you'll be in Vancouver, -9 hours from Belgium, this is going to
> be quite a sacrifice for you. We usually get started between 09:00 and
> 10:00, so midnight to sunrise for you.
>
> Alternatively, if we're good about having work items on a public board,
> you could work on things while we sleep, in true F/OSS fashion.
>
> So I guess that brings me back to my question, what can we do?

Sorry for the delay in replying; partly to let the video chat discussion
settle, and partly disconnecting for holidays.

It's unlikely that I'll be able to contribute meaningfully if I stay up all
night. So, I would prefer the asynchronous method. I am still trying to
figure out how much time I can devote to the hackfest, but if there is a
discussion or whiteboarding session at the beginning of the (GMT+1) day,
then I can definitely join in, either on a one-way live stream, or on a
multi-way conversation, and figure out what to contribute to from there.

I am still trying to figure out just how much time I am able to devote
during those days.

 * Remote video? (assuming participants are comfortable with that)

I personally am comfortable.

>  * More IRC conversations, or dedicated stenographer?

Probably a list of outcomes of conversations, for people who are not able
to join in live. I personally like to do this even if all the participants
in the same room.

 * Etherpad for notes/conversations?

Never tried it, but it seems great.

> I think one thing that would help is for remote participants to prepare
> a list of topics they'd like to ensure are discussed, since we usually
> start by white-boarding topics for the 3-day session.

Yep, I added my topics to the list when I signed-up (namely, documentation
browser that I've been working on, and GJS), but I'd be happy to elaborate
on that so that you have more than just a few keywords.

Regards,
--
Philip C.