On Thu, 2017-01-05 at 11:37 -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:

> Hm, I'm excited for Rust, but I think we probably do not want GNOME
> depend on an alternative package manager like cargo, right? At least
> that would require some serious discussion here first.

Librsvg still uses autotools; it just calls cargo when building the
Rust sub-library, that is then linked statically into the final
librsvg.so.

That *will* download, compile, and link stuff like gtk-rs statically
into librsvg.so.  I don't think this is a problem in the long term:
with things like Flatpak we are already moving away from distros trying
to mandate which dependencies one uses, and moving towards developers
making that choice on their own.

> For now, I've pushed an librsvg-2-40 branch and switched jhbuild to
> use
> that. Please remember to update jhbuild and Continuous when adding
> new
> dependencies. ;)

If you really want to avoid librsvg 2.41 for jhbuild, then hardcode it
to the 2.40.16 tarball.  I will not be doing any maintenance on the
2.40 series anymore.

In the meantime, build systems are really not my thing, and I would
appreciate help in making this all work with jhbuild / gnome-
continuous.

  Federico