Is worth to mention this is how gnome-builder starts a new autotools
project:

https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-builder/tree/plugins/autotools-templates/autotools_templates
https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-builder/tree/plugins/autotools-templates/autotools_templates/__init__.py

See it is a simple python script based on language, but lack information
about where all those files come from like definition of autogen.sh

https://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-builder/tree/plugins/autotools-templates/autotools_templates/resources/autogen.sh

That plugin could be itself a spin-off from gnome-builder to automate best
practices to start a GNOME like project, but as ebassi says, there's only
recommendations not mandatory rules