On 02/13/2017 07:59 PM, Sébastien Wilmet wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 12:48:56PM +0100, Milan Crha wrote:
>> On Sat, 2017-02-11 at 18:35 +0100, Sébastien Wilmet wrote:
>>> For big projects like GTK+, building the docs takes several hours on
>>> my machine, and there are anyway too many warnings, with huge
>>> 'unused' files…
>> just out of interest, do you run gtk-doc with address sanitizer
>> (libasan) preloaded? I just faced myself, when running gtk-doc with
>> ASAN preloaded, that it takes ages to finish, but without it the same
>> project finished within minutes (evolution-data-server speaking, size
>> of its gtk-doc is comparable to gtk+, I believe).
> Thanks for the hint, but I don't have libasan installed. So it must be
> something else. I thought everybody had the same slowness problem with
> gtk-doc. I have an Intel core i5, so there is a problem if it takes
> several hours to build the GTK+ docs. I can try with
> evolution-data-server.
The slowness is due to the xslt processor. libxslt is still single
threaded, slow as hell and mostly in maintenance mode. I am now aware of
a better xslt processor. The only sane way from my POV would be to ditch
docbook and migrate full to markdown. I'd love to do this in gtk-doc -
what we need is a complete migration plan and some help writing the
code. Once we have a plan we could probably write most of the code
during some hackfest.

Stefan