Hey,

On Tue, 2017-05-02 at 12:54 +0000, jfle...@gmail.com wrote:
> First of all, I want to thank you all for your comments and
> feedbacks. I wasn't really expecting such a nice welcome :-)
>
> Regarding the HIG, you can actually also thank Mathieu Jourdan ( http
> s://github.com/mjourdan ). He has been providing me with awesome
> mockups.
>

> Regarding the goals, I think we can agree it would be best to keep
> Gnome documents, simple-scan and Paperwork separated, at least for
> now:
>
> - Simple-scan: For me, the way I see it, it's more of a general scan
> application. It can do wonder, but my understanding is that it's not
> intended as a document manager. For instance, I used it to scan this
> drawing : https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/135331/22778343/
> e449f9c2-eeb6-11e6-9edc-ece6f372d147.png . Scanning it with Gnome
> Documents or Paperwork wouldn't have make sense.
> - Gnome Documents: Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems mostly
> focused at electronics documents (.odt, .pdf, etc).
> - Paperwork: As stated previously, it has a very clear focus on paper
> documents. PDFs are mostly a side-effect so people don't have to
> switch between document managers all the time. It's also intended to
> let the users do as little as possible .. and some people just don't
> want that (I got a bunch of tickets over time regarding putting
> titles on documents ...). So, while its goal may overlap Gnome
> Documents, I don't think one size fits all here.

If I could give you a piece of advice, it would be to try and share the
maximum amount of code with simple-scan and what would become the
GNOME-ified version of it. That is, start by hacking on simple-scan for
all the "simpler" stuff, making sure to split off the bits you want to
reuse, like the scanning, calibrating, and cropping UI, the OCR
support, and the system-wide configuration, if that happens.

In the longer term, that would mean that you would get more people
working on this portion of the code, so more eyeballs, maintenance, and
features "for free" for your application. I could also see this part as
very interesting to integrate into other GNOME-ish applications, such
as the GIMP, or Inkscape, in the longer term.

OCRFeeder is also another project that you could be interested in
looking at, it's an OCR application for GNOME, though it's not in the
"highly maintained" category.

Cheers