First off, thank you so much for all your contributions as a user and
contributor.  I think all of us appreciate that.

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 1:27 PM Mirko Crowther via desktop-devel-list <
desktop-devel-list@gnome.org> wrote:

> I'm *AGAINST* any initiative about moving GNOME to either GitLab or
> Phabricator.
>

> > In recent months we have got together to examine the possibilities for
> > GNOME’s development infrastructure. We’ve spent a lot of time on this,
> > because we want the community to have faith in our conclusions.
>
> > Available alternatives to cgit and Bugzilla include GOGS, gitea and
> Pagure. However, these were rejected early on in this evaluation, due to
> their contributor levels and sustainability.
>

> Perhaps you spent a lot of time on this, but clearly not enough. You are
> basically suggesting that GNOME should rely for its infrastructure, which
> is a very important component, on a company whose business model is to sell
> proprietary features for its "enterprise" edition, and whose

Which we already do for other infrastructure tools like puppet.

> I'm outraged to read that you're questioning the sustainability of
> projects such as gitea and pagure, while you see no problem with GitLab's
> own sustainability. As far as I can see, gitea has its own community and
> development is going strong. Pagure is developed (supported?) by Red Hat
> and the Fedora community is already using it (the now defunct FedoraHosted
> has migrated to pagure). Gogs

These tools were rejected because it didn't have the feature set that
evaluators were looking for and clearly we have reached the end of what can
be done with the current situation.

> Anyway, I'm not a GNOME developer, so the decision is not on me. But I'm a
> GNOME user, I try to contribute by helping users, or submitting bug
> reports. I also donated to the project, and I want to know that when I
> support a free project, it will in turn support other free projects. That's
> why if this wicked proposal will be accepted, I'll stop being an active
> GNOME user and also invite everybody to stop donating to the GNOME project.

I respect that you are an ally in Free Software, but in general, it is very
impolite to threaten the community because they decided on something that
you personally oppose or against your values.

If there is a solution that was Free Software that met the needs of what
the GNOME Project was looking for, you can be assured we would have
seriously evaluated it.

Approving GitLab should be considered something very prestigious to Gitlab
Inc and it will be our fondest wish that they respect the relationship we
have with sufficient gravitas.

You might consider reading this post hosted on Gitlab regarding software
freedom -
https://about.gitlab.com/2015/05/20/gitlab-gitorious-free-software/.

If you have any further questionspr comments, please direct your replies to
me personally rather than continuing it here so that we can continue to
gather feedback from the community without distracting side conversations.

sri