-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Proposal to deploy GitLab on gnome.org
Local Time: May 17, 2017 2:10 PM
UTC Time: May 17, 2017 12:10 PM
From: had...@hadess.net
To: Carlos Soriano <csori...@protonmail.com>
desktop-devel-list@gnome.org <desktop-devel-list@gnome.org>

On Wed, 2017-05-17 at 06:36 -0400, Carlos Soriano via desktop-devel-
list wrote:
> Hey Bastien,
>
> Not sure if you read the wiki and the workflow we outlined in there,
> since we mention how this works. You will realize that's not
> necessary for you, neither a git-bz alternative since you will use
> just git:
> - git-bz apply equals to git checkout remoteBranch

No, it doesn't. git-bz apply on a master or version branch will allow
me to amend commits. It does everything but push. The above doesn't
allow me to apply the same set of patches to a development and a stable
branch for example.

Doesn't git rebase do precisely this?

> - git-bz attach equals to git push origin HEAD:fix2340issue, then
> click create merge request.

Does this rewrite the commit message to include the PR or bug number?

No, as written in the wiki you write "Closes: $number" and it will handle
things automatically.
Of course some addition could be done to do the rewrite.

Do we end up with separate merge requests and bug numbers, segregating
users and developers? And yes, clicking a button is a problem when

Yes. They are different concepts in this tool, which I though it was an
improvement. The bug is more about the discussion of what is
wanted/motivation/reasoning/design/etc., the merge request is about pure code.
Not sure I would frame it as segregating users and developers though.

"git-bz file" took care of all the clicky stuff on the command-line.

Right, that can be improved.

> And since you will have access to all projects...not need for your
> own repo.
>
> Do you mean you don't like the extra step that is clicking once per
> issue the "create merge request" button?

I don't like the fact that the bug report and the merge request are
separate.

> If that's the case, why is the command line tool we mention in the
> wiki not good for you? (you will need some alias for adapting it to
> your needs, or maybe we can modify to make the "create merge request"
> more comprehensible?)

The only mention of a command-line tool says:
"There is a CLI tool which allows a wide range of actions to be done
from the command line, although it isn't particularly user friendly."
which is a bit low on details to allow me to comment on it.

It's rather vague, I agree. But you can explore it yourself, the readme of the
project is quite explanation. But I'm afraid is not up to the expectations you
have as it is right now. Would be good to improve this of course.