On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 1:27 AM, Sébastien Wilmet <swil...@gnome.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 09, 2017 at 03:20:38PM +0100, Emmanuele Bassi wrote:
>> After all, Linux
>> distributions rebuild the documentation when building the binary
>> packages anyway
>
> I see that in the gspell-doc package on Fedora 26, some html pages have
> links to /home/seb/jhbuild/... (a problem with the gtkdoc-fixxref
> config). That's my home directory :-) so definitely Fedora didn't
> re-generate the docs (and it would be painfully slow, it takes several
> hours on my machine to generate the GTK+ docs).

Somewhat relatedly, the only reason why it takes so long to build docs
is because we haven't been improving gtk-doc. There is little
technical reason why building our documentation has to be *so* slow.
For instance, there's Hotdoc which as a proof-of-concept does the same
work, but much faster. So perhaps our time is better spent figuring
out why gtk-doc eats CPU (single-threaded!) and fixing that.

Cheers,
Nirbheek