Le jeudi 15 mars 2018 à 10:39 +0000, Bob Ham a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I'm working on the ability to make a phone call with the Librem 5 phone.
>  I've started working on a Telepathy-based dialer and call handler.  The
> goal at Purism is to work upstream and we use GNOME as the desktop
> environment in our distribution, PureOS, which will be what the Librem 5
> runs.  There's no existing dialer in GNOME so the assumption underlying
> this work is that it will end up as "GNOME Dialer".  I'm sending this
> email now to check in and get feedback on my approach.

Note that this is not entirely true, there is a dialer in Empathy
already. It's most likely a miss-fit for a Phone UI (just like most
Gnome application if left unmodified).

> There was a long discussion⁰ last year on this mailing list regarding
> replacing Telepathy with Matrix and the thread also included a lot of
> general discussion of Telepathy and communication.  In that discussion
> there were plenty of calls for Telepathy to die so I feel I should
> justify my approach.
>
> Firstly, there are only two existing free GSM middleware frameworks:
> freesmartphone.org¹ (FSO) and oFono².  FSO is actually a whole
> smartphone middleware, including not just telephony but contacts,
> alarms, audio, battery and so on.  We are explicitly targetting the
> GNOME platform which already provides a lot of (all of?) what FSO does.
> We cannot use FSO or else we would conflict with our goal of building on
> the GNOME platform.  Hence, we must use oFono.

oFono is also the best choice for telephony. It has been extensively
tested and used in read-world use cases. It also handles well the
Bluetooth Handset and implement all the features you car integration
needs. Though, it might not have a great upstream at the moment (non
have)

> Both Telepathy and oFono expose APIs over D-Bus so regardless of whether
> we use oFono natively or through telepathy-ring, we'll be writing a
> GNOME D-Bus application.  By building a dialer based on Telepathy we get
> the tantalising possibility of supporting SIP cheaply as there are SIP
> connection managers for Telepathy.

Telepathy Ring was justified by the "single UI" requirement to
aggregate GSM / SIP / XMPP (which included Google and Facebook back
then) / IRC but also proprietary stuff like Skype. As of today's
reality, Matrix native API is missing, and only GSM/SIP/IRC remains
(well haze, for libpurple, but a bit limited), from which only GSM and
SIP have strong common needs. That's why Telepathy is being criticized,
as it's very complex for what it brings.  A simpler abstractions would
make everyone's life easier.

> By using telepathy-ring we also open the possibility of having deep
> integration of SMS and IM systems.  That's not the immediate focus but
> it's something to bear in mind.
>
> When I read through the Telepathy Developer's Manual, I thought "this is
> awesome!"  However, having got to grips with a lot of the complexity, I
> can see why there has been so little traction and why a lot of people in
> the aforementioned mailing list thread wanted it to die.  That said, I
> still think Telepathy is awesome and it still seems like the most
> sensible choice for our immediate need of building telephony programs
> for the Librem 5.

It was designed for a phone, and made useful to the desktop.

> My colleague François Téchené recently wrote a blog post³ proposing a
> unified UX using a "feature"-based approach rather than an
> application-based approach.  This proposal comes from the ideas of
> Ethical Design⁴.  The technological underpinnings of this UX are already
> largely extant in Telepathy.
>
> The future that I'm looking towards is one where the Librem 5 is a
> shining beacon of harmonious Telepathy-based telecommunication magic,
> providing unified interfaces to various different messaging and
> audio/video telephony systems including Matrix, GSM, SIP and XMPP,
> complete with encryption.

Maybe you want to finish the Telepathy 1.0 spec then ? It's a major
cleanup that go abandoned when Nokia Open Source went down. All the
code is still available. It removes the legacy/backward compatibility,
removes the duplicated interface (specially for Telephony, as there was
couple of rewrites of this interface, and we ended up supported
multiple versions in Empathy).