On Sun, Jul 15, 2018 at 10:08 AM, Christoph Reiter via desktop-devel-list <
desktop-devel-list@gnome.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 15, 2018 at 3:25 PM, Nicolas Dufresne <nico...@ndufresne.ca>
> wrote:
> > Stable distribution shouldn't block software from going forward with
> > Python 3. Simply because stable OS won't update to whatever we release
> > next, unless it's bug/security fixes.
>
> I agree in general, but as I noted at the end of my mail, RHEL 7 does get
> non-bugfix/security updates nowadays. And from what I see many of the
> people
> working on those updates also work on GNOME and we should try figuring out
> what they need before potentially making their lives harder.

Speaking as one of the people involved in RHEL7 GNOME maintenance: we've
never made demands to hold back upstream
progress because it would be more convenient for us. We've worked around
the python3 appearance in the a11y stack and
the more recent meson adoption as well as we could. Its part of what we
paid to do.