On Thu, 2021-01-14 at 12:08 +0100, Benjamin Berg wrote:
> On Thu, 2021-01-14 at 12:06 +0100, Bastien Nocera wrote:
> > This is likely a migration problem, as the project was originally
> > in
> > Jonas' personal namespace, right? All the projects under the GNOME
> > namespace should have the same settings allowing anyone in the
> > project to commit anything and merge anywhere, for better or for
> > worse...
>
> Not quite. Everyone listed in the .doap file is a "Maintainer", while
> everyone else is a "Developer". So you can just change the protection
> the master branch to only allow everyone in the "Maintainer" group to
> merge. This will prevent everyone who is not listed in the .doap file
> from merging.

I know that screen well. I'm saying that the settings were likely in
that position because the module was migrated from a personal
namespace. That's not how modules are setup by default in the GNOME
namespace.

(Or Jonas changed them, obviously :)

> But, that in turn isn't really compatible with the idea that the
> Relase
> Team is the one who should always be able to handle emergencies in
> case
> a maintainer is not available at the time. So, they kind of need to
> have the Maintainer permissions in order to always be able to step
> in,
> even if projects have configured branch protections.

There are many ways to workaround or fix this (as mentioned in my
previous email) without allowing implicitly or explicitly the release
team to commit directly to the main development branches, so I don't
see why we would need to make an exception for that case.