Currently I consider the JDBC driver unusably slow.

Fortunately the sdbc driver can be fixed by applying a small patch. I
hope we will see this in the LO ppa?

Ferry

  LibreOffice Base forms become extremely slow after switching from
  currently unusable PostgreSQL SDBC driver to JDBC

Status in “libreoffice” package in Ubuntu:

  We have been using OpenOffice/LibreOffice Base and SDBC for a long
  time to access our PostgreSQL databases. After SDBC has apparently
  gone defunct (tables are all read only), we had to switch to JDBC.
  However, opening and using forms via JDBC is extremely slow. Following
  suggestions from the PostgreSQL JDBC mailing list, I logged the
  queries issued by both drivers (log file is attached). While both
  drivers spend only a short while doing queries (JDBC: 0.65 s, SDBC:
  0.62 s in my test case), the difference in total time used is huge (at
  least 49 s with JDBC, 2 s with SDBC). It looks to me that JDBC itself
  cannot be blamed for this bad performance, so I consider this
  behaviour as a bug of LibreOffice base.

  Please let me know if you do need any additional information, for
  example about the used database tables. The table of the form I used
  for the attached example log is rather unwieldy (many columns), but it
  has only ~5.500 rows. Anyway, the effect is observable also with much
  simpler tables and the respective forms.

  I hope you will be able to track this down ...,
  Cheers, Ulf

  Package: libreoffice-base 1:3.3.3-1ubuntu2
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.38-11.48-generic 2.6.38.8