I just installed smplayer like this:
sudo apt-get install smplayer

Then I went to System Settings > Details (poorly named) > Default
Applications

I changed both video and audio to be handled by default with smplayer (I
actually suggest making it the default in the upcoming release).

However, if I  now go to an audio or video file, and double-click it, it
still opens in Totem.

Changing default applications doesn't work yet in 12.04 Beta 2.

  Opening files from the dash won't open with the default application

Status in Unity:
  New
Status in “gnome-control-center” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “nautilus” package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:

  Steps to reproduce:
  Go to System Settings -> System Info -> Default Applications and change the
default Music and Video application from the default to your liking. In my case
I have Totem (Movie Player) for Music and the VLC media player for Video.
Search for a audio file or video file using the dash and then open it directly
from there. The mp3 file opened with Banshee instead of Totem and the film
opened in Totem instead of VLC. The expected behavior is that they should be
opened by the application that I have selected in System Info -> Default
Applications. (see attached screenshots)

  Package: unity 4.24.0-0ubuntu2.1
  ApportVersion: 1.23-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: amd64
  CompizPlugins:
[core,bailer,detection,composite,opengl,compiztoolbox,decor,grid,snap,gnomecompat,imgpng,resize,move,mousepoll,regex,vpswitch,animation,place,unitymtgrabhandles,workarounds,wall,expo,fade,scale,session,ezoom,unityshell]
  Date: Tue Jan 31 11:38:32 2012
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" - Release amd64 (20111012)
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_CA:en
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=en_CA.UTF-8