Functionality in question provided by package called indicator-applet.
I am aware that package is only a wrapper around indicator-appmenu and friends.
But still, I can't think of better place to provide a fix for problem.
Especcialy when fix concept approved by applet called wncklet which is part of
gnome-panel package.

Packages, which is subscribed to gnome-panel in Ubuntu.

  appmenu-applet should shrink to allow condensed menus behaviour
  (#655184)

Status in Indicator Applet:
  New
Status in “gnome-panel” package in Ubuntu:

  This issue related to recently fixed bug #655184
  Currently appmenu takes all space required by menus and takes off the panel
surrounding it applets.
  Since currently appmenu-indicator supports condensing, allowing
appmenu-applet to shrink similary to Windows List, will provide a solution.